Recognized as a top attorney in intellectual property litigation, Matthew has over 20 years of experience representing clients in patent, copyright, and trademark disputes. Matt has successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants in numerous patent litigations as lead and co-counsel in a wide range of technologies.
In district court, Matt has developed and executed complex litigation strategies, examined witnesses at jury trials and preliminary injunction hearings, briefed and won dispositive and discovery motions, argued claim construction positions, and deposed over 100 fact and expert witnesses.
Matt actively represents patent owners and petitioners in inter partes proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. In 2019, Patexia listed Matt as one of the top 500 most active IPR attorneys.
Matt has been recognized as an “Illinois Super Lawyer” in intellectual property litigation from 2012-19 after being named a “Rising Star” from 2008-12. Since 2016, Matt has been named in the annual list of Leading Lawyers by the Leading Lawyer Network.
- 1998, Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Integra Lifesciences Corp. v. Hyperbranch Medical Technology, Inc., 15-819-LPS (D. Del.) (patent litigation involving medical devices).
- Ficep Corp. v. Voortman USA Corp., No. MJG-13-0429, 2017 WL 480753 (D. Md. Feb. 6, 2017) (decision on summary judgment motions in patent litigation involving steel fabricating process).
- Mouldtec, Inc. v. Pagter & Partners Int’l, 12-c-4249, 2015 WL 5755522 (Sept. 29, 2015) (granting summary judgment of noninfringement in declaratory judgment action).
- RMDI v. Remington Arms Company, Inc. et al., 2:10-cv-00029-TS-DN (D. Utah Jan. 18, 2012) (obtaining summary judgment of invalidity)
- In re Certain Toner Cartridges and Components Thereof, No. 337-TA-740 (U.S.I.T.C. Sept. 27, 2011) (obtaining determination of violation of Section 337 and issuance of general exclusion order).
- Zamora Radio LLC v. Pandora Media, Inc.,758 F.Supp.2d 1258 (S.D. Fla. 2010) (obtaining summary judgment of noninfringement).
- Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. v. First Quality Baby Products, LLC, 2010 WL 2025100 (E.D. Wis. May 20, 2010) (obtaining preliminary injunction on four process patents).
- MOAEC, Inc. v. Pandora Media, Inc., 607 F.Supp.2d 980 (W.D. Wis. 2009) (obtaining summary judgment of noninfringement).
- Static Control Components Inc. v. Lexmark Int’l Inc.,615 F.Supp.2d 575 (E.D. Ky. 2009).
- Pitney Bowes, Inc. v. Kern Int’l Inc., 239 F.R.D. 62 (D. Conn. 2006).
- PNA Construction Techs., Inc. v. McTech Group Inc. et al, No. 1:05-CV-1753-WSD, 2006 WL 304052 (N.D. Ga. 2006) (obtaining preliminary injunction).
- Automotive Tech. Int’l v. BMW of North America, Inc. et al,378 F.Supp.2d 780 (E.D.Mich.2005) (obtaining summary judgment of invalidity).
- Lisle Corp. v. AJ Mfg. Inc.,289 F.Supp.2d 1048 (N.D. Ill. 2003) aff’d 398 F.3d 1306 (Fed. Cir. 2005) (affirming summary judgment of infringement and denial of JMOL following jury trial on invalidity).
- Benedict v. General Motors Corp., 184 F.Supp.2d 1197 (N.D. Fla. 2002) (obtaining summary judgment of invalidity).
- John Donovan Enterprises-FL, Inc. v. Allied Plastics, Inc. 3:00-cv-00272 (W.D. Wisc.) (jury found patent infringed and awarded damages).
- Allied Tube and Conduit Corp. v. John Maneely Co., 125 F.Supp.2d 987 (D. Ariz. 2000) (obtaining preliminary injunction).
- Whatley v. Nike Inc., 54 U.S.P.Q.2d 1124 (D. Or. 2000).
- Lampi Corp. v. American Power Prods. Inc., 52 USPQ2d 1733 (N.D. Ill. 1999) aff’d in part228 F.3d 1365 (Fed. Cir. 2000) (affirming findings of noninfringement following bench trial).
- Aero Industries Inc. v. John Donovan Enterprises-Florida Inc.,80 F.Supp.2d 963 (S.D. Ind. 1999) (obtaining preliminary injunction).
- American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago