Audra C. Eidem Heinze
Audra C. Eidem Heinze applies a strategic and creative approach to resolving client needs, whether related to complex litigation, opinion work, or transactional issues involving patents, trademarks, or copyrights. Her experience involves an extensive range of fields including, for example, imaging devices and supplies, computer hardware and software, and athletic footwear, apparel, and equipment.
Audra has represented clients in numerous proceedings across the country, including in California, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Texas, the International Trade Commission, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Some exemplary successful client representations from cases on which Audra worked as a member of the litigation team include the following:
- Successfully sought affirmance at the Supreme Court of the United States—in a unanimous decision—of the lower court’s dismissal of the defendant’s trademark invalidity counterclaim
- Successfully sought affirmance at the Federal Circuit of the district court’s judgment of no patent infringement
- Successfully sought a writ of mandamus at the Federal Circuit vacating the district court’s decision denying transfer in a patent infringement action
- Successfully sought affirmance at the Federal Circuit of the district court’s grant of summary judgment that collateral estoppel prevented the plaintiff from asserting patent claims
- Successfully sought summary judgment of no trademark infringement due to the absence of a likelihood of confusion
- Successfully opposed registration in the TTAB on grounds that the applied-for mark caused a likelihood of dilution and a likelihood of confusion
- Successfully sought dozens of judgments for infringement and permanent injunctions in case involving 21 patents
- Successfully sought judgment of no patent infringement for a defendant in the Eastern District of Texas
- Successfully sought transfer of a patent infringement action from the Eastern District of Texas
- Successfully sought transfer of declaratory judgment action in a patent infringement case from the Southern District of Florida
Audra has been named an “Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star” in Intellectual Property Litigation. Super Lawyers Rising Stars names the state’s top 2.5% of attorneys 40 years old or younger or in practice for 10 years or less.
Prior to joining Banner & Witcoff, Audra researched gene mutations at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center’s Biomedical Research Facility. She also worked as a Field Claims Specialist Intern for Monsanto Corporation.
Audra earned her J.D. degree from Texas Wesleyan University School of Law (now Texas A&M University School of Law), graduating summa cum laude. She was a member of the Texas Wesleyan Law Review and the President of the National Conference of Law Reviews, Inc. She earned a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry from the University of Missouri, graduating with Honors.
Audra is admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, the Supreme Court of Illinois, the Supreme Court of Missouri, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois, and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri. She is also registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Audra practices in the Chicago office of Banner & Witcoff, Ltd.
71 South Wacker Drive,
Chicago, IL 60606
B.S. 2005, with Honors, University of Missouri
J.D. 2009, summa cum laude, Texas Wesleyan University
U.S. Supreme Court
Supreme Court of Illinois
Supreme Court of Missouri
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office