Shawn focuses his practice on patent prosecution, counseling, inter partes reviews, and litigation. He has extensive experience before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, helping clients navigate all aspects involved in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
Recognized as a leading patent professional by Intellectual Asset Management magazine in 2018, Shawn has represented clients ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 companies in the transportation, automotive, construction, energy, and financial services industries. His practice covers a variety of electrical and computer technologies from microprocessor system design and bus architecture to semiconductor chip fabrication and Internet applications. Shawn was previously a partner in the Washington, D.C., office of Kenyon & Kenyon LLP, which eventually became part of Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP. With nearly three decades of experience, Shawn has successfully represented his clients in the following matters:
- A multinational automotive manufacturer in prosecuting numerous patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Over two years, his client was awarded more than 500 patents.
- A computer hard drive manufacturer in multi-district patent infringement suit involving disk drive technology and a separate suit involving computer tape drives.
- An e-commerce corporation in analyzing, evaluating and counseling on thousands of patents and patent portfolios.
- A manufacturer and supplier of microscopy instruments and solutions in litigation involving atomic force microscopy.
- A global medical technology leader in an arbitration proceeding involving patents related to optical scanning and analysis of mammography films.
- A multinational corporation and technology company in a patent infringement lawsuit over localized oxidation of semiconductor in chip fabrication and bar code scanning.
- One of the largest electronic design automation corporations in prosecuting its patent applications before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- B.S. 1989 , Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- J.D. 1993 , George Washington University
- 1993, Virginia
- 1994, District of Columbia
- 1997, California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office