Jason is a senior shareholder of Banner Witcoff, with over 20 years of experience in representing plaintiffs and defendants in complex intellectual property matters throughout the United States. His practice comprises all areas of intellectual property law, with a focus on patent, trademark, and copyright litigation in federal court and patent post-grant trials before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Jason has a consistent track record of winning on the merits and achieving favorable resolutions on behalf of his clients. Jason has achieved favorable results for his clients in numerous jurisdictions including Arizona, California, Delaware, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, New York, Nebraska, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin, and the U.S. International Trade Commission. Jason’s cases have involved a wide range of technologies, including printers, electronic sensors and monitors, medical and diagnostic devices, mobile devices, computer hardware and software, and consumer electronics. Exemplary clients represented by Jason in litigation matters, and sample subject matter of representation, include:
- America Online, Inc. (Patent litigation regarding instant messaging and internet chat services)
- CIBA Vision/Wesley-Jessen (Patent litigation regarding colored contact lenses and chemical processes)
- Dimension Data (Managed Cloud Platform supporting public and private cloud services with a common user interface and application programmable interface)
- Dutton-Lainson Company (Patent litigation regarding trailer hitch technology)
- Husky Injection Molding (Patent litigation regarding injection molding systems)
- Integra LifeSciences Corp (Patent litigation regarding dural sealants)
- Kimberly-Clark (Patent litigation regarding baby diapers and adult incontinence products)
- Lexmark International, Inc. (Patent litigation relating to toner cartridges for printers; microchips on toner cartridges; multifunction device telephony, networking, and software; managed print services; and managed software services; and mobile printing technology)
- Logitech (Patent litigation involving voice over IP telephony equipment)
- Newell Rubbermaid (Patent litigation relating to window latch technologies)
- NIKE (Patent litigation involving footwear technology)
- Peapod LLC (Patent litigation regarding online grocery shopping and delivery services)
- PNA Construction Technologies (Patent litigation involving load transfer devices in concrete flatwork)
- Rock River Arms (Patent litigation involving firearm technology)
- RTX Telecom (Patent litigation involving voice over IP telephony equipment)
- Skype Technologies (Patent litigation involving voice over IP telephony equipment)
- Team Play (Copyright litigation regarding video games and source code)
- U.S. Robotics (Patent litigation involving voice over IP telephony equipment)
Jason is skilled in both offensive and defensive challenges to patent validity, and has been representing clients in inter partes reviews (IPRs) before the PTAB. He has served as lead or backup counsel in several IPRs, with technologies ranging from tire sealants and automotive components to medical devices and formulations.
In addition to his litigation experience and achievements, Jason has a wide range of experience in patent, trademark, and copyright counseling and procurement. Jason has prepared and prosecuted numerous patent applications on a variety of subject matters including medical and diagnostic devices, security systems, structural ceramics, superconducting materials, sports equipment, and other mechanical and electro-mechanical devices and processes. Jason also has experience in preparing and prosecuting domestic and foreign trademark applications.
For the past several years, Jason has consistently been recognized in Who’s Who Legal and on Illinois “Super Lawyers” list for his work in intellectual property litigation. He is an active member of the American Bar Association. He has chaired several committees of the ABA Section of Litigation and Section of Intellectual Property Law, and has received several awards from the Section of Litigation. Jason is also an active member of the Arizona Technology Counsel, and the Intellectual Property Owners' Association.
Jason earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Michigan State University. Prior to earning his degree from Michigan State University, Jason attended the United States Air Force Academy where he earned the Commandant’s Silver Wreath for outstanding military performance. Jason earned his Juris Doctor degree from Chicago-Kent College of Law. While pursuing his Juris Doctor degree, Jason also completed graduate coursework towards a Master of Science degree in Chemical Engineering from the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Michigan State University
Chicago - Kent College of Law
- 2000, Illinois
- 2015, Arizona
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona