Scott is primarily involved in counseling and litigating complex intellectual property matters. He represents and advises industry-leading companies on intellectual property matters in such technologies as cellular communication systems, base station antenna systems, merchandise display systems, wireless networks, computer communications and networks, Internet and e-commerce, food and beverage technologies, DNA mutation detection systems, railway components, automotive equipment, firearms and athletic footwear.
Scott has successfully represented clients in hundreds of intellectual property matters at the trial court and appellate levels. He offers his clients valuable insight concerning the local trial practice in Chicago and the judges in the Northern District of Illinois.
Scott also spends a significant amount of time advising and representing clients with respect to complex intellectual property related matters, including inter partes patent reviews, trade dress, product configurations, trademarks, copyrights, IP-related transactions, licensing and patent portfolio development. Scott works with companies in developing strong intellectual property programs and uses creative strategies for achieving the companies’ business objectives.
Scott is repeatedly named to the Super Lawyers magazine’s list of top Illinois lawyers in the field of Intellectual Property Litigation, and has been named as one of America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators.
Scott balances out his practice by serving as an adjunct professor at the Northwestern Law School teaching courses in intellectual property litigation. He has authored numerous articles on intellectual property law and has lectured on various intellectual property issues.
Scott earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Wisconsin and a Juris Doctor degree from The John Marshall Law School where he was an editor of The John Marshall Law Review. Prior to joining Banner Witcoff, he held engineering positions in the aerospace field and power transmission industry.
University of Wisconsin
1992, B.S., Mechanical Engineering
John Marshall Law School
- 1997, Illinois
- 1999, District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Phi Delta Phi Honor Society
- The Richard Linn American Inn of Court