Recognized as one of Chicago’s most notable women lawyers, Katie represents clients in litigation and provides counseling on a broad range of issues involving patents, trademarks, trade dress, copyrights and trade secrets. Her representations include a top travel search engine, a popular online restaurant-reservation service, a microphone and audio electronics manufacturer, and a leader of outdoor lifestyle products, among others.
Katie has significant experience managing and litigating intellectual property matters. Knowledgeable in all aspects of litigation from discovery and motion practice to trial and appeal, she has successfully achieved her clients’ business goals in enforcing intellectual property rights and defending against infringement allegations.
Katie also actively manages the trademark portfolios for several clients — from startup companies to large corporations. She counsels clients in protecting trademark rights and procurement of trademark registrations in the U.S. and internationally, and provides client-oriented strategies for coverage of rights. She also manages trademark opposition proceedings globally and has achieved numerous decisions resulting in favorable outcomes for her clients.
As a member of the International Trademark Association (INTA), the American Intellectual Property Law Association and the Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago, Katie speaks and writes on various intellectual property topics and to a wide range of audiences, including IP practitioners, investors and dealmakers in the M&A market, and exit planning professionals.
At Banner Witcoff, Katie co-chairs the recruiting committee, leading the firm’s efforts to recruit top lateral candidates and summer associates. She also is a member of the committee that oversees the firm’s trademark practice and previously served on the diversity and associates committees.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Katie earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Systems Engineering and worked as a program analyst for Lockheed Martin Information Technology under a contract with the Federal Aviation Administration. During law school, Katie served as a judicial extern for the Honorable Amy J. St. Eve of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- B.S. 2002, Systems Engineering, University of Pennsylvania
- J.D. 2007, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
- 2007, Illinois
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Recognized as one of Chicago’s Notable Women Lawyers by Crain’s Chicago Business, 2018
- Named an Illinois Rising Star by Super Lawyers, 2013-19.
- Selected for inclusion on Super Lawyers’ Top Women Illinois Lawyers list, 2013
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, Non-Traditional Marks Committee, International Trademark Association