Timothy J. Rechtien
Tim Rechtien’s practice focuses on intellectual property litigation and counseling. Mr. Rechtien is currently a member of a trial team for a renowned convenience store chain. He also recently completed the successful enforcement of patent and trademark rights for an industry leader of outdoor lifestyle products.
Some examples of decisions from cases on which Mr. Rechtien has worked include:
- In re Cashman Equip. Co., 584 Fed. Appx. 930 (Fed. Cir. Nov. 25, 2014) (denying petitioners’ Petition for Mandamus to reverse the Central District of Illinois’ order re-transferring the case)
- ESCO Corp. v. Cashman Equip. Co., 65 F. Supp. 3d 626 (C.D. Ill. 2014) (granting plaintiff’s motion to retransfer venue)
- Harley-Davidson Motor Company v. S&S Cycle, Inc., No. 2:13-cv-1428 (E.D. Wis. Jan. 16, 2014) (final judgment)
- Caterpillar, Inc. v. ESCO Corp., No. 12-1017, 2012 WL 6618602 (C.D. Ill. Dec. 18, 2012) (granting defendant’s motion to transfer venue under 28 U.S.C. § 1404(a))
- Lyons v. Nike, Inc., 874 F.Supp.2d 986 (D. Or. 2012) (granting defendant’s motion for summary judgment of patent non-infringement)
- Methode Elecs., Inc. v. DPH-DAS LLC, Nos. 09-13078, -14303, __ F. Supp. 2d __, 2010 WL 174554 (E.D. Mich. Jan. 19, 2010) (affirming and modifying magistrate judge’s opinion and order granting defendant’s protective order)
- Lyons v. Nike, Inc., No. 2:08-CV-00403-TJW-CE (E.D. Tex. Sept. 17, 2009) (granting defendant’s motion to transfer under 28 U.S.C. § 1404(a))
- Methode Elecs., Inc. v. Delphi Automotive Sys. LLC, 639 F. Supp. 2d 903 (N.D. Ill. July 16, 2009) (granting defendant’s motion to transfer under 28 U.S.C. § 1404(a))
- First Quality Baby Prods., LLC v. Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc., No. 09-0354, 2009 WL 1675088 (M.D. Pa. June 15, 2009) (granting defendant’s motion to dismiss declaratory judgment action for lack of subject matter jurisdiction)
Before joining Banner & Witcoff, Mr. Rechtien worked as a fossil power technologies engineer for Sargent & Lundy, LLC—a power plant design engineering firm. At Sargent & Lundy, Mr. Rechtien performed system design and engineering analysis for two projects. Mr. Rechtien also worked in technical sales for United Supply Service Inc., where he worked as a sales engineer for a vendor of water treatment solutions for boilers, cooling towers and closed-loop systems. While at United Supply, Mr. Rechtien was responsible for attracting new clients as well as servicing existing clients, and for analyzing heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems to develop cost effective water treatment solutions to improve efficiency and quality.
Mr. Rechtien has been listed as a Super Lawyers Illinois Rising Star from 2011-2017. The Rising Star lists represents the top 2.5 percent of attorneys in each state. Illinois Rising Stars are selected through a peer balloting process involving attorneys from across Illinois and conducted by a research and review panel organized by Thomson Reuters.
Mr. Rechtien graduated magna cum laude from The John Marshall Law School. At John Marshall, Mr. Rechtien obtained invaluable experience as a judicial extern for the Honorable Robert W. Gettleman, District Court Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and also served as a board member on the Review of Intellectual Property Law. Mr. Rechtien sat on the Moot Court Council and participated in the 2006 Giles Sutherland Rich Memorial Patent Law Moot Court Competition where he and his co-counsel won Best Appellee Brief for the Midwest Region. Mr. Rechtien earned a Bachelor of Science with Honors in Mechanical Engineering from Michigan State University.
Mr. Rechtien practices in the Chicago office of Banner & Witcoff, Ltd.
Ten South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606-7407
B.S.M.E. 2001, Michigan State University
J.D. 2007, John Marshall Law School
Supreme Court of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin