Matthew P. Becker
Matt Becker focuses his practice on litigating of patent, copyright, and trademark disputes. Matt has successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants in numerous patent litigations as lead and co-counsel in a wide range of technologies.
In 2013, Matt was named an Illinois Super Lawyers in Intellectual Property Litigation after being named a Rising Star from 2008-2012. The Super Lawyers list represents the top 5% of in Illinois as chosen through a peer balloting process and through the independent research of Thomson Reuters.
Matt’s litigation accomplishments include:
- Obtaining favorable verdicts in patent infringement jury and bench trials
- Obtaining summary judgments of non-infringement and invalidity in patent infringement actions
- Obtaining preliminary injunctions in patent infringement cases
- Preserving favorable judgments on appeal
Examples of published decisions from cases on which Matt has worked include:
- RMDI v. Remington Arms Company, Inc. et al., 2:10-cv-00029-TS-DN (D. Utah Jan. 18, 2012) (obtaining summary judgment of invalidity)
- In re Certain Toner Cartridges and Components Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-740 (U.S.I.T.C. Sept. 27, 2011) (obtaining determination of violation of Section 337 and issuance of general exclusion order).
- Zamora Radio LLC v. Pandora Media, Inc., 758 F.Supp.2d 1258 (S.D. Fla. 2010) (obtaining summary judgment of noninfringement).
- Kimberly-Clark Worldwide, Inc. v. First Quality Baby Products, LLC, 2010 WL 2025100 (E.D. Wis. May 20, 2010) (obtaining preliminary injunction on four process patents).
- MOAEC, Inc. v. Pandora Media, Inc., 607 F.Supp.2d 980 (W.D. Wis. 2009) (obtaining summary judgment of noninfringement).
- Static Control Components Inc. v. Lexmark Int’l Inc., 615 F.Supp.2d 575 (E.D. Ky. 2009).
- Pitney Bowes, Inc. v. Kern Int’l Inc., 239 F.R.D. 62 (D. Conn. 2006).
- PNA Construction Techs., Inc. v. McTech Group Inc. et al, No. 1:05-CV-1753-WSD, 2006 WL 304052 (N.D. Ga. 2006) (obtaining preliminary injunction).
- Automotive Tech. Int’l v. BMW of North America, Inc. et al, 378 F.Supp.2d 780 (E.D.Mich.2005) (obtaining summary judgment of invalidity).
- Lisle Corp. v. AJ Mfg. Inc., 289 F.Supp.2d 1048 (N.D. Ill. 2003) aff’d 398 F.3d 1306 (Fed. Cir. 2005) (affirming summary judgment of infringement and denial of JMOL following jury trial on invalidity).
- Benedict v. General Motors Corp., 184 F.Supp.2d 1197 (N.D. Fla. 2002) (obtaining summary judgment of invalidity).
- Allied Tube and Conduit Corp. v. John Maneely Co., 125 F.Supp.2d 987 (D. Ariz. 2000) (obtaining preliminary injunction).
- Whatley v. Nike Inc., 54 U.S.P.Q.2d 1124 (D. Or. 2000).· Lampi Corp. v. American Power Prods. Inc., 52 USPQ2d 1733 (N.D. Ill. 1999) aff’d in part 228 F.3d 1365 (Fed. Cir. 2000) (affirming findings of noninfringement following bench trial).
- Aero Industries Inc. v. John Donovan Enterprises-Florida Inc., 80 F.Supp.2d 963 (S.D. Ind. 1999) (obtaining preliminary injunction).
Matt graduated, with distinction, from Purdue University in 1995 earning a B.S. degree in Chemical Engineering while in the Honors Program. Matt was also inducted into the Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society. In 1998, Matt earned his law degree from Northwestern University School of Law. Matt is a registered patent attorney and is admitted and to practice in Illinois and numerous federal district courts.
Matt practices in the Chicago office of Banner & Witcoff, Ltd.
Ten South Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL 60606-7407
B.S. Ch.E. 1995, Purdue University
J.D. 1998, Northwestern University
U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar