Manav focuses his practice on preparing and prosecuting patents involving computer technologies, as well as client counseling, and opinion work. With a Ph.D. in mathematics and over two decades of experience working in academia, law firms, and in-house legal departments, Manav offers clients a unique and valuable perspective. In addition to his patent prosecution practice, Manav has experience providing litigation support on patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret matters, as well as with inter partes reviews.
A co-inventor on three patent applications, Manav has worked on a wide range of technologies, including IoT, big data, analytics, natural language processing, summarization techniques, lighting systems, networking, storage, memory interfaces, information security, machine learning, search and query processing, mobile and e-commerce applications. He has experience counseling small businesses and start-ups, while also preparing and prosecuting patent applications for leading global software companies.
Prior to joining Banner Witcoff, Manav was a senior corporate counsel and a senior patent portfolio manager at global software companies Micro Focus, Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company, and Hewlett-Packard Company. In these roles, Manav managed global patent portfolios, worked on a range of in-house IP projects, handled high value and sensitive negotiations with large multinational companies, reviewed work of outside and in-house counsel, and counseled senior management, sales executives, inventors, and also legal, business, and research and development leaders. In his commercial role, Manav managed the in-house non-disclosure agreement process, and regularly worked on data protection, data privacy, indemnification, confidentiality, license compliance, and IP ownership issues.
Outside of his legal practice, Manav is active in several professional societies and has served in a number of leadership roles, including as a past vice chair of the Electronic and Computer Law Committee of the American Intellectual Property Law Association, and as a co-chair of its 101 Subcommittee. He also served on the Trade Secrets Committee of the Intellectual Property Owners Association.
Manav is an adjunct faculty for Mathematical Sciences at DePaul University. He was a tenured faculty in mathematics at the University of Louisville, where he conducted research; presented talks at international conferences; authored several research articles; directed doctoral research; served in administrative leadership positions taught undergraduate, graduate and seminar level courses in mathematics; and received a number of awards for his research and teaching. During law school, he was on the editorial board of the Journal of Law and Education, and served as the executive vice president and treasurer for the student Intellectual Property Law Association.
- B.Sc. (with Honors in Mathematics) , St. Stephen’s College, University of Delhi
- M.S./Ph.D. , Ohio State University
- Ph.D. 1996 , Ohio State University
- J.D., Louis D. Brandeis School of Law at the University of Louisville
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Recipient of the Winner’s Circle Award for patent drafting, Hewlett-Packard Enterprise Company
- Selected for a Fulbright Faculty Lectureship in mathematics
- Recognized with the ABA-BNA Award for Excellence In the Study of Intellectual Property Law
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Advisory board member, Illinois Patent Hub
- Editorial board member, Real Analysis Exchang
- Member, South Asian Bar Association (SABA) of Chicago